Thomas G. Whatley, Jr. is a partner with Howard & Whatley, P.C. He specializes in defending businesses and individuals in civil actions in the State Courts and Superior Courts throughout Georgia. Tom also practices in the United States District Courts in the Southern, Middle and Northern Districts of Georgia. Mr. Whatley further represents employers and insurers throughout the state in claims pending before the Georgia State Board of Workers’ Compensation. He is a member of the Atlanta Bar Association, the Savannah Bar Association, the State Bar of Georgia, the Defense Research Institute, the Georgia Defense Lawyers Association and the Lawyers’ Foundation of Georgia.
Mr. Whatley received his B.B.A. from the Terry College of Business at the University of Georgia and his J.D. from the Emory University School of Law in Atlanta, Georgia. While at Emory, Mr. Whatley was a member of the Emory Law School Moot Court Special Teams. He also had the privilege of working an internship as a Clerk for Justice Richard Bell of the Georgia Supreme Court.
Mr. Whatley was a member of the AAA State Champion football team at Central High School in Macon, Georgia, a fact of which he may be overly proud. He is an Eagle Scout and continues to support scouting through his church and through the Coastal Empire Council of the Boy Scouts of America. Mr. Whatley is a member of the Isle of Hope United Methodist Church, where he has an active interest in missions and teaching. Tom’s wife, Maliece, is a CPA and an accounting instructor at the Savannah State University College of Business.
- J.D., Emory University School of Law, 1986
- B.B.A., University of Georgia, Terry College of Business, 1983
- Weston v. Dunn Transp., 304 Ga. App. 84, 695 S.E.2d 279 (2010)
- Higgins v. Food Lion, Inc., 254 Ga. App. 221, 561 S.E.2d 440 (2002)
- Vickery v. Waste Management of Ga., Inc., 249 Ga. App. 659, 549 S.E.2d 482 (2001)
- Lee v. Food Lion, 243 Ga. App. 819, 534 S.E.2d 507 (2000)
- Georgia Forestry Com’n v. Canady, 280 Ga. 825, 632 S.E.2d 105 (2006)
- Lightsey v. Nalley Equipment Leasing, Ltd., 209 Ga. App. 73, 432 S.E.2d 673 (1993)
- Jaquillard v. Home Depot U.S.A., Inc., 2012 WL 527418 (S.D. Ga. 2012)
- Clark v. Schofield, 632 F. Supp.2d 1350 (M.D. Ga. 2009)
- Dotson v. Allen, 2007 WL 4256970 (S.D. Ga. 2007)
- Licensed to practice in Georgia and federal courts